Sunday, September 23, 2012

the act of receiving, or the state of being received

-->
Amanda and I married on April 13th of this year after I had proposed in October.  Shortly after the New Year, Amanda and I declared the date.  Unfortunately, due to the relatively short stretch of time in between our choosing of the date and the actual wedding, the thought of having a reception in April seemed insurmountable.  That said, Amanda and I shared the day with a small group of friends, and had an annotated reception with a promise of a more formal reception to come in the future.  After the wedding, we immediately began planning our reception.  We investigated a number of venues, and ultimately opted for the Hall at The German Central Foundation.  We booked for September 22, 2012 and the pandemonium began.  As you’ll recall, shortly before Amanda and I got married, I took a new job and financial panic ensued.  The original idea was we’d both allocate a fair amount of money towards the reception to make it happen; when I took the new job, that possibility flew out the window.  Amanda and our respective families worked hard to make the reception happen, and last night, the loving efforts of many came together, resulting in an event that we were so lucky to be able to share with our friends and family members.

            Now, for backgrounds sake, you should know: my sister in law worked for a long period of time as an event coordinator/florist for a local florist, her boyfriend is a professional chef and our families are both very excellent at making things happen that seem implausible.  Over a period of several months, Amanda, our families and myself met and coordinated last night’s reception.  We invited two hundred plus, gave a relatively short period of time to respond and about two weeks after the fact, we still had an insufficient amount of responses to accurately gauge who intended on attending our event.  Accordingly, we planned for one hundred fifty.  My sister-in-law jumped to action, contacting her employer and coordinated flora for the event.  My sister-in-law’s boyfriend jumped to action and immediately began menu planning and arranging for the procurement of food.  At our next meeting, David announced his menu and accordingly, jaws dropped.  Admittedly,  I was a bit nervous, but David reassured all that he was getting a crew together and that he would be able to make this happen.  We arranged for my cousin to play the role of DJ and things were “looking up”. 

            We delivered our final counts to David.  A few weeks before the reception, David learned that the crew he had put together to assist wouldn’t be able to make it due to another obligation.  David has this hilariously stoic demeanor when faced with adversity, and I believe he uttered, “We’ll adjust”.  Though I am well aware of David’s abilities as a chef, this prospect made the “crew” and me a bit nervous. 

            The reality of this event did not come to me until Friday when we began setting up.  We clothed tables, prepped arrangements and began our prep cooking, much to the dismay of the rental agent at the German Central Foundation.  On Saturday, Amanda and I normally pick up our CSA, so I met the rental agent at the venue, she and I engaged in a curt conversation, and she was on her way.  Shortly after, the troops arrived and we began the process of cooking.  Some stirred sauces and some dressed salads and others cut bread.  

            After a brief lunch, we finished up our cooking and before we knew it, guests began arriving.

            The reception went off without a hitch.  We danced, and had a wonderful time.  The most overwhelming thing was the outpouring of love and support from our family.  The cuisine was outstanding, and loved by all and life felt good. 

            We got to ten o’ clock at night or so, and it appeared that the night was winding to a close. 

            I’ve always been under the impression that receptions were meant to be easy for the bride and groom; any one who has had one or had part in one, I’m certain will advise you that this conception is ill informed.  After the reception, I headed to the kitchen, and began doing dishes.  Let me tell you: doing dishes for a meal prepared for one hundred and fifty people is grueling at best. But, I enjoyed doing them, because the love and the energy that we shared with our family and friends yesterday made it all worth it. 

Reception is defined as: the act of receiving, or the state of being received.  It is interesting to read the definition, because right in the definition, it dispels a notion that I had about them. I went in thinking that a reception was for others to simply receive you, as bride and groom; and perhaps that isn’t totally ill informed, as often times in our culture, that's how society treats them, but more importantly, receptions are for the newly eloped to receive their guests, to greet them as (and I’m sorry, but this is the best possible way I can think to express it) their new selves. 

            Amanda asked me today what my favorite part of last nights reception was.  I had to think for a minute, because every moment felt so joyful.  At one point last night, my lovely cousin Gracelyn came to me and asked me if she could have a flower.  I asked for a hug, and she gave it to me.  It’s been quite some time since I’ve been able to share much with that side of my family, I don’t know what barriers I encountered that made it seem so prohibited, but alas. I was so happy, after a moment, I thought about the fact that we had a few flowers left over, and so I escaped in to the back and grabbed them and gave them to Gracelyn.  The smile on her face made my night. 

            Last night reminded Amanda and I just how lucky we are to be able to share our lives with all of you.  And you, us.  Thank you.

            With that, I raise my flute to you, my friend and thank you for sharing this event with us.  Words seem wholly insufficient to express our thanks to those who helped make this event possible.  We’ll certainly pay it forward.  You are so loved, my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment