Saturday, October 20, 2012

Nutrition

So, it's been awhile...

September found us busy with reception planning and the like, October brought Amanda's thirtieth birthday and our six month anniversary.  Our reception went fantastically, in case I forgot to mention and likewise with regard to Amanda's birthday. However, life wasn't all good:

Amanda and I also found ourselves eating out too often and drinking too much beer and other beverages and getting next to no exercise. 

When it was all over, we both found ourselves a little depressed with the results.

I've always struggled with having a healthy relationship with food.  In my youth, I was often depressed and used food as a comfort mechanism. Around the time I turned eighteen, I got tired of that, and with the help of an "accountabilibuddy" (thanks, Tim) dropped more than fifty pounds, in a very short amount of time.  Because of how quickly I dropped the weight, I found myself a victim of yo-yo syndrome, and over the next several years, I would regularly put on twenty pounds and then quickly drop it.  Most of the time, I'd get too busy with school or work, or whatever and revert to old, bad habits. 

Amanda went to the doctor the other day, and found herself frustrated.

Now, any good husband knows that your wife doesn't want you to  fix her problems, she just wants to know you care.  And I do, but I am a caretaker personality to some extent and I "just wanted to help".  So, I made a proposal that I take over kitchen duties for awhile.  Now: here's the thing, I'm a pretty good cook, I've learned how to make healthy meals that fill you up.  And I have also made many mistakes along the way as to "how to eat". 

So, I composed a menu which incorporates elements of what worked for me; Being many tiny meals throughout the day, smaller portion sizes and very few refined carbs, and a cheat meal every week. The good news is : we aren't depriving ourselves either.  In terms of hunger, though we both at times during this week felt hungry,  we got through it.  I have an insatiable sweet tooth.  Accordingly, when Amanda and I were planning our menu, we made sure that we put some fruit in it and even got some cocoa roast almonds, a much better alternative to the nightly ice cream cone I'd partake in prior. 

After a week, Amanda and I both find ourselves fitting in to our clothes a little better and generally just feeling better about life. 

Now a week in, tomorrow brings our first metrics.  Our first weigh in and measurements.  Oh, did I mention I really don't believe that weight is an accurate measure of health?  It's a metric that provides minimal data,  I much prefer measurements.  We'll let you know how that goes, until next time..that's all, folks!




No comments:

Post a Comment