Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The First Year

Search the first year of marriage on Google and you'll find no shortage of advice.  It seems the first year of marriage is the hardest.  If that much is true,  I am pretty lucky so far.  But here's what I've observed, or (think that I've) figured out:

The first year is alienating.  I find myself alone, with the exception of my wife, Amanda.  People somehow get the impression that upon entering marriage you need unlimited amounts of space so that you can appropriately court your spouse, so they stop calling.  Perhaps they're busy with their own lives.  I find myself equally apathetic about contacting them, so I can appreciate their lack of effort.

The first year is exciting.  There are so many new experiences that I look forward to, and so many experiences that I get to share.  After getting married to Amanda, I found myself having two sisters, siblings.  I think we've always felt that way about each other anyways,  but to make it official was exciting as hell.  I'm also excited for Amanda to share my family.  I am excited to start my own family with Amanda. 


No comments:

Post a Comment